- 8 bacon strips, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, halved and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 pounds medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of potato soup, undiluted
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon to drain. Saute onion in drippings for 1 minute. Add sausage; cook until lightly browned. Add potatoes; cook 2 minutes longer. Drain.
- Transfer sausage mixture to a 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the soup, sauerkraut, water, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over sausage mixture. Sprinkle with bacon. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until potatoes are tender. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for German Potato Salad with Sausage
Sort By :
"This is very good. My family loved it and I didn't have any leftovers."
"This is in the crockpot right now...can't wait till supper time! The only thing I did different was added a bit of caraway seed. Oh wait, reading down I see someone suggest adding a few carrots...gotta go!"
"This is really good and easy. I added extra sauerkraut and it was fantastic. Otherwise, kept everything else the same and the family loved it."
"Simple to prepare and so delicious! I love sauerkraut so I add extra and don't rinse it in order to get a tangier flavor. I add extra bacon as well. A terrific main dish on it's own, leftovers can be used as a side dish. This is a wonderful, hearty one dish meal that's excellent in the fall and winter."
"I found this very easy to put together, not too expensive to make. No leftovers :( Well I guess I'll have to make this again! In the recipe box it goes."