- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Peel and grate potatoes. In a bowl, combine the eggs, 3/4 cup flour, bread crumbs, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add potatoes; mix with hands until well blended. Shape into 1-1/2-in. balls; roll in remaining flour.
- In a large kettle, bring salted water to a boil. Add the dumplings, a few at a time, to boiling water. Simmer, uncovered, until the dumplings rise to the top; cook 2 minutes longer. Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with parsley if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Potato Dumplings in Taste of Home February/March 2001, p35
Reviews for German Potato Balls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 24, 2009
"These are the best dumplings. Perfect with the Sauerbraten recipe."