French Country Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Polish Kielbasa Sausage or Polish sausage, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, sliced into rings
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl; transfer to an ungreased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 60-70 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Yield: 9 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for French Country Casserole
Sort By :
"I can almost imagine myself eating at some establishment in Europe when I make this dish. I have made this since it first came out in the "Taste of Home" magazine many years ago. It's one my hubby has appreciated as well since the flavor has such sophistication.I confess to having made some changes over the course of time. For the sauce I use 1- 8-oz. can tomato sauce, 1 Cup of beef broth and 1/3 C. of the red wine. I didn't want the beef broth and wine to be an either-or thing--I think it needs BOTH for richness. I also use less than the amount of brown sugar called for."
"We love this!"
"My husband and I really liked it, but the kids not so much. It's one I may make again in the future and freeze for lunches rather than offer as supper."
"This was really delicious. I did make a few changes. I didn't use the kidney beans at all as no one in our house likes them, sticking only with one can of black beans, one can of northern beans. Secondly, I used both red wine and beef stock in 3/4 c. measurements each. I also added an additional 1/2 pound of the sausage because my family's crazy for it. I added an extra carrot too. Honesty, it was delicious and warming and the sauce was rich and flavorful. My hubby loved it!"
"Well if it was up to me I would have only gave it 2 stars because I did not like it at all but my husband loved it. I will not be making it again though."