Fennel Carrot Soup Recipe
Marlene Bursey of Waverley, Nova Scotia sent the recipe for this soup that's perfect as a first course for a special-occasion dinner. The pretty pumpkin-orange soup get delicious flavor from toasted fennel seeds--a pleasant complement to the carrots, apple and sweet potato.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium apple, peeled and cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons uncooked long grain rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add fennel; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted. Add carrots, sweet potato and apple; cook and stir 5 minutes longer.
- Stir in broth, rice, bay leaf and curry powder; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are soft.
- Remove from heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. Process in batches in a blender until smooth; return to pan. Stir in lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fennel Carrot Soup in Light & Tasty December/January 2004, p16
Reviews for Fennel Carrot Soup(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 27, 2010
Soup is very light, so one would need to add another dish to the menu. As soon as I make it I did not like it (it may be just me). However, trying it next day I loved it, and my friend loved it too.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Broth Soup Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Carrot Soup >
- Carrot Soup Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Soup Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Healthy Soup Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Soup Recipes >