- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 to 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Gradually stir in the flour, salt and nutmeg and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; dip in egg whites, then roll in walnuts. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Using a wooden spoon handle, make a 1/2-in. indentation in the center of each ball. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until center is set. Carefully remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, combine the butter, confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve a spreading consistency. Tint with food coloring if desired. Pipe about 1/2 teaspoon into each cookie. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews for Eggnog Thumbprints
Sort By :
"One little thing from the original recipe, this one FORGOT to sprinkle nutmeg on top to give it the "rum plus nutmeg" eggnog taste, after piping the filling. I've been making these for years and it is one of my friends' and family's favorite cookie."
"My boss brought us some of these the nuts and frosting was a great combo but sweet."
"Maybe I did something wrong, but I made a batch & a half, and still didn't get 4 dozen cookies out of this recipe. I needed more nuts, too. The cookies were very yummy, though!"
"I love the flavor of eggnog. So this cookie is my favorite and I intend to make it for the cookie exchange with friends this year. It will take top honors as the best at the party."