Devil's Food Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting Recipe
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water and sour cream. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Remove from the heat; cool for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, beat the confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in chocolate mixture until frosting is light and fluffy. Spread between layers and over top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Devil's Food Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting(16)
Sort By :
This is the best devil's food cake I can remember making and eating. The only change I made was using coffee instead of water. Definitely a go to recipe.
Nice flavor - came together fine. No problem with the frosting.
We made this cake exactly how recipt calls out, it was one of the best cakes and frosting I have ever made. The whole family loved it. Cake was not dry, and frosting was perfect!
frosting came out too watery. Can't comment on cake because I didn't make it.
frosting came out too watery.