- 1 package dark chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted, divided
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) cream cheese frosting
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, cream cheese, pudding mix, milk, eggs and cinnamon; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in carrots and 1/2 cup walnuts. Pour into three greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle top with remaining walnuts. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Dark Chocolate Carrot Cake
Sort By :
I made this in a 9x13 pan and put homemade cheese cream icing on top and it was AMAZING! Now the funny part is that my husband loved it when it was warm out of the oven, but not when it was cold after being in the fridge overnight. I didn't care for it warm, but I LOVED it cold!
This cake was so good!!! Everyone that tried it love it!! Will defiantly make again...
Made this cake for a potluck; it was a hit. I would make one modification: if you live in a humid climate like I do (Miami FL), either try to find a "plain" cake mix (no pudding in the mix) or omit the instant pudding mix. The cake was way too moist, wouldn't hold its shape and just crumbled. No one cared--there was practically none left and I was asked for the recipt--but it bugged me. I cannot find "plain"cake mix here, so next time, I will omit the pudding mix. Also, it takes almost a pound of medium-sized carrots to make the 3 cups called for. And I made mine in a 13 x 9 inch pan--better for a potluck--baked for the same time as the recipe called for, then started testing it. Took about 35 minutes, but again, in this humid climate, I always find I need to take my cakes for the longer time in the suggested range. With the 13 x 9-inch pan, only needed one can of frosting. Delicious flavor!
I made this for my son-in-laws birthday and it was a huge hit. I used the canned frosting for the filling between the layers and made a homemade cream cheese frosting to frost the outside of the cake. Was nummy
Love, love, love this cake!