- 1 package dark chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted, divided
- 2 cans (16 ounces each) cream cheese frosting
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, cream cheese, pudding mix, milk, eggs and cinnamon; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in carrots and 1/2 cup walnuts. Pour into three greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle top with remaining walnuts. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Dark Chocolate Carrot Cake
"My husband loves carrot cake and chocolate cake, so this was a natural choice for his birthday. He loved it and so did everyone else! In addition to the cinnamon, I threw in a touch of clove and nutmeg just to give it some extra spice. I actually think I'll add more next time. Also, since I baked in a 9x13 instead of 3 rounds, I had to up the baking time a bit (turned out to be 7 min extra for my oven). I can't really imagine how this recipe wouldn't work for anyone UNLESS they: 1) buy a cake mix with pudding already in it, but don't leave out the pudding mix, or 2) buy "cook & serve" pudding instead of "instant". Either of those could possibly mess up the texture of the batter."
"I tried making this cake; something is missing from the ingredients. The batter was not like cake batter, and it did not bake properly. I've made many cakes in my day, and this one, by far, turned out the worst. I am throwing this one out."
"I made this for my bridge club and everyone just loved it! I used a dark chocolate pudding and I made homemade cream cheese frosting. I also baked it in a 9x13 pan. Several people asked for the recipe. Definitely a keeper!"
"I made this in a 9x13 pan and put homemade cheese cream icing on top and it was AMAZING! Now the funny part is that my husband loved it when it was warm out of the oven, but not when it was cold after being in the fridge overnight. I didn't care for it warm, but I LOVED it cold!"
"This cake was so good!!! Everyone that tried it love it!! Will defiantly make again..."