- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, milk and extracts. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls or drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 400° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Immediately remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6-1/2 dozen.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Crisp Lemon Sugar Cookies
"These cookies are wonderful. I am always looking for lemon recipes to treat my Mother with. I admit... we are sharing this first batch! Next time I will double."
"To everyone who wonders, Crisco makes a shortening with butter."
"I made these cookies for the first time this morning. They are absolutely wonderful. The only thing I would comment on is I must have made mine bigger then the recipe called for, although we didn't think they were very large. I ended up with 33 cookies. I will double the recipe next time but they are very yummy and easy to make. I give them 5 stars."
"Do you have to use butter flavored shortening??"
"Best Crisp Lemon cookie I ever tasted. Made it following recipe, again without sugar topping, again with finely chopped pecans. All were first place winners."
"These cookies are outstanding! Made the recipe exactly as written, but only yielded 3 dozen. This recipe is definitely a keeper!"
"These are absolutely heavenly!They are lemony and crisp with a sugar ,topping and you couldn't ask for more in a lemon cookie!Nancy Foust (_nlfPA)Field Editor PA"
"Delicious cookie. Tasty with ice cream or sherbet"
"Perfect! My new favorite!"