Have you ever bought marvelous-looking German potato salad, only to discover that it tastes like yesterday's rain? This is my mom's recipe, and it's been a staple in our family for years. The whipping cream makes it taste like no other. —Tracy Zettelmeier, Mukwonago, Wisconsin
- 4-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 18 medium)
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-in. cubes; place in a stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 5 tablespoons drippings. Set bacon aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in sugar and vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; gradually whisk in cream. Set aside. Drain potatoes. Transfer to a large bow; add reserved onion mixture and bacon. Stir gently to coat. Serve warm. Yield: 13 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Creamy German Potato Salad in Country April/May 2008, p51
Reviews for Creamy German Potato Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review