Creamy German Potato Salad Recipe
- 4-1/2 pounds red potatoes (about 18 medium)
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cut potatoes into 1/2-in. cubes; place in a stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender.
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 5 tablespoons drippings. Set bacon aside.
- In the same pan, saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in sugar and vinegar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; gradually whisk in cream. Set aside. Drain potatoes. Transfer to a large bow; add reserved onion mixture and bacon. Stir gently to coat. Serve warm. Yield: 13 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Creamy German Potato Salad
Sort By :
"This is the best potato salad ever!"
"My German grandmother taught me how to make German potato salad and her recipe uses 1/4 cup of sugar, 1-1/2 Tbs. flour and equal parts of vinegar and water approximately 1/2 cup each. Sour cream can be added in place of the whipping cream just before serving. Also salt and pepper should be added to taste. She also boiled the potatoes whole and then cut them up after cooling slightly. The amount of sugar and vinegar can be adjusted to taste."
"Yes, warm is really the only way to eat German Potato Salad, it's best that way!"
"Not really a review, but based on one comment, is this eaten warm only? It sounds so good."
"On taste 5*, on preparation * moderately quick to put together. I cannot keep my fork out of the bowl.Recipe says it will feed 13. I cut it in half, i.e. 2 lbs of potatoes with 1/4 lb of bacon. It filled a 1 1/2 qt bowl. I have is enough to feed 8. Changes: half sugar half Splenda, addition of snipped chives."