- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 can (8-1/2 ounces) cream of coconut
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 5 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups flaked coconut, toasted
- Fresh cranberries, optional
- Grease and flour two 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the cream of coconut, lime juice and peel. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in coconut.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Transfer to prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For the filling, in a large saucepan, combine cranberries and cranberry juice. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 12 minutes. Press cranberries through a food mill into a small bowl; discard seeds and pulp.
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine cranberry mixture and sugar. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs and egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter. Gently stir in lime juice and peel. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, marshmallow creme and butter until light and fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth.
- Cut each cake horizontally into two layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; top with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost cake. Press toasted coconut over top and sides of cake. Garnish with cranberries if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Cranberry Coconut Cake with Marshmallow Cream Frosting
Sort By :
"This makes a beautiful & impressive cake as well as being delicious! Definitely a "keeper" recipe says everyone who ate it!"
"A lot of work but absolutely worth it! Delicious!!"
"Beautiful and delicious! Wouldn't change a thing!"
"I made this cake for my coworkers. They actually scraped the crumbs off the plate!! The cranberry, lime, and coconut are "a party in your mouth". To the previous rating: of course you can cut the recipe in half if you can divide by 2. Very rude to rate a recipe one star if you never even tried to make it."
"Could u cut the cake recipe in half?I haven't made it yet so gave one star to ask my question."