In less than 45 minutes, you can have a dozen hot and flavorful muffins on the table. They're very easy to double, so make an extra batch for company! —Hannah Barringer, Loudon, Tennessee
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- STREUSEL TOPPING:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg. Beat in the milk, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into butter mixture just until moistened. Fold in cranberries and orange peel.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 400° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Cran-Orange Streusel Muffins in Light & Tasty December/January 2008, p54
Reviews for Cran-Orange Streusel Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review