- 2 pounds cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups water
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Crumbled cooked Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon and minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring cabbage and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Keep cabbage warm.
- Place cooking liquid and potatoes in a large saucepan; add enough additional water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-17 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, bring milk and onions to a boil; remove from the heat. In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add milk mixture; beat until blended. Beat in the cabbage, salt and pepper. Drizzle with the melted butter, bacon and parsley. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Colcannon Potatoes
"I'm from Idaho and thought I had done and seen every thing you could do with a potato. Then I found this in Taste of Home 2003. Unbelievably delicious! I was so impressed I make it every year for St.Patty's day. If you like potatoes and cabbage you are going to love this, it's a keeper!"
"I was looking for a recipe with cabbage in it and I saw this. I have to admit, I was afraid I wouldn't like them, but they were really tasty."
"I loved this recipe. Very tasty."
"I served this with corned beef instead of boiled cabbage and potatoes. It was delicious!"
"Hi Olive! I've made this recipe before and find it can be reheated easily in the microwave. You may have to add more milk and/or butter, as whipped potatoes seem to dry out very quickly. But they will be delicious just the same. I also like to reheat and keep this dish warm in a crock pot. You can keep them warm beautifully for up to a couple of hours. Works great. Enjoy! This is a lovely recipe."
"I have MS & prepare foods in stages. Can I prepare the day before St. Pat's & warm in the oven next day?"
"Just made these for supper tonight. Cut the recipe in half, since there's just the 3 of us. But it was SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOD! I'm sure the leftovers won't be in the frig long! Thanks! Hoping to make these for a family dinner some time, but till then, the 1/2 recipe will be fine for us!"
"Very good Recipe! Make sure your cabbage is shredded fine and drained really good or the potatoes are a bit runny. After a day of sitting in the fridge and reheated, they were perfect."
"These were good. I served them on st paddy's day with leg of lamb and soda bread."