Colcannon Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups water
- 4 pounds potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and coarsely ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Crumbled cooked bacon and minced fresh parsley
- In a large saucepan, bring cabbage and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving cooking liquid. Keep cabbage warm.
- Place cooking liquid and potatoes in a large saucepan; add enough additional water to cover the potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-17 minutes or until tender. Drain and keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, bring milk and onions to a boil; remove from the heat. In a large bowl, mash potatoes. Add milk mixture; beat until blended. Beat in the cabbage, salt and pepper. Drizzle with the melted butter, bacon and parsley. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Colcannon Potatoes(24)
Sort By :
This is a fantastic recipe
I tried this recipe for St Patty's day and the whole family enjoyed it! I followed it to the letter but when I make it again, I would add more seasonings.
Love love Love it!....and not just for St. Patty's Day! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)
Great way to sneak cabbage into the diet - really tasty. I left out green onions (simply didn't have it on hand) and added some cream cheese - super tasty!
At first I was a bit hesitant, but gave it try and it was a great dish to accompany my corn beef. Thanks so much, the whole family enjoyed it.