- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, allspice and cloves; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Coconut-Rhubarb Spice Cake
Sort By :
Cake part is good--even better the next day.
The topping is too sweet. I will cut the amount of sugar in the topping in half or maybe make it more of a streusel-type topping.
Made twice, two weekends in a row, because it was such a hit! I used a glass pan and baked for 38 minutes and it was perfect. Second time I used pineapple b/c I was out of frozen rhubarb and it was still delicious! This is a keeper! A side of ice cream makes it extraordinary!
this cake was so good. the texture was so light and the flavors were perfect. I only used 1 cup brown sugar and we thought it was great
This is the best rhubarb cake I've ever
tasted! Making two in two days, one to
serve at cards tomorrow. Wouldn't change
a thing! Esp. like the topping.
Moist cake. Even non-rhubarb eaters would probably enjoy this cake. Careful not to burn the topping though!