Coconut-Rhubarb Spice Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, allspice and cloves; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in rhubarb.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the topping ingredients; sprinkle over the top. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Coconut-Rhubarb Spice Cake(4)
Sort By :
this cake was so good. the texture was so light and the flavors were perfect. I only used 1 cup brown sugar and we thought it was great
This is the best rhubarb cake I've ever
tasted! Making two in two days, one to
serve at cards tomorrow. Wouldn't change
a thing! Esp. like the topping.
Moist cake. Even non-rhubarb eaters would probably enjoy this cake. Careful not to burn the topping though!
Very moist cake. It's a hit whenever I take it to potlucks or family gatherings!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >