Classic Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/3 cups milk
- Confectioners' sugar or favorite frosting
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating until smooth after each addition. Pour batter into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. pan.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool on a wire rack. When cake is cool, dust with confectioners' sugar or frost with your favorite frosting. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Reviews for Classic Chocolate Cake(20)
Sort By :
Was looking for a chocolate cake recipe for my daughter's 1 year birthday party. With all the positive reviews I tried it and it was a success. Made a 2 layer cake with strawberry jam in between. My husband, who is a dessert fanatic, made sure that I had a copy of this recipe in my cookbook!
Loved the cake, though i have one more suggestion to make it more "interesting", right after you take it out of the oven and while its still hot, add 2 cups of cold milk (not at once ofcourse) and then leave it to cool, at the same time you can prepare the frosting by mixing a nutella jar (400g) with 300ml of extra thick double cream, let it cool in the fridge for an hour and then add top the cake with it and leave the cake in the fridge for a whole day for it to be perfect
Amazing!! Made a cream cheese frosting for it and it was a hit!! Will be my go-to cake recipe.
This is my first homemade cake from scratch, was so easy to make and came out light and fluffy, will absolutely make this again, goodbye to boxed cake mixes, sorry Duncan hines :(
Such an easy recipe and I had everything on hand! It seemed a little dry at first but as it sat for a day it was perfect. Deff will make again!