"My mother made this hard cinnamon candy many times for us as kids," says Marganne Winter Oxley of Klamath Falls, Oregon. "Now I fix it for my own family and to give as gifts at Christmas."
- 1 cup water
- 3-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon red liquid food coloring
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon oil
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with foil; butter the foil and set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine water, sugar, corn syrup and food coloring. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and cook for 3 minutes to dissolve sugar crystals.
- Uncover; cook on medium-high heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage), about 25 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in cinnamon oil (keep face away from mixture as oil is very strong). Immediately pour onto prepared pan. Cool completely, about 45 minutes.
- Break the candy into pieces using the edge of a metal mallet. Sprinkle both sides of candy with confectioners' sugar. Store in airtight container. Yield: about 2 pounds.
Originally published as Cinnamon Rock Candy in Quick Cooking December 2000, p10
Reviews for Cinnamon Rock Candy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review