Family-Favorite Cinnamon Candy
I have fond memories of standing at my grandmother's stove with my mom and my aunts, helping to make this cherished recipe. Now I share the tradition with my kids. —Wendy Hagan, Oak Grove, Louisiana
Total TimePrep:10 min. Cook: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 3 packages (6 ounces each) Red Hots
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- Grease two 15x10x1-in. pans with butter.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to dissolve sugar. Add Red Hots; return to a boil, stirring carefully until Red Hots are melted, about 10 minutes. (Mixture will be very hot; wear an oven mitt while stirring to prevent burns.) Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from heat. Immediately divide mixture between prepared pans; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Break candy into pieces. Place confectioners' sugar in a large resealable bag. In batches, add candy and toss to coat lightly.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 ounce: 115 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 7mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Hard Rock Candy in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015