"I created this moist cake roll to use my garden zucchini," says Victoria Zmarzley-Hahn from Northampton, Pennsylvania.
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded peeled zucchini
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Line a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease the paper; set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs for 3 minutes. Gradually add sugar; beat for 2 minutes or until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored. Stir in zucchini and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; add to egg mixture until well blended. (batter will be thick).
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 10-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with cocoa. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- Unroll cake; spread filling evenly over cake to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Zucchini Roll in Taste of Home June/July 1999, p67
Reviews for Chocolate Zucchini Roll
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review