- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- 11 Kit Kat candy bars (1-1/2 ounces each)
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves, warmed
- Fresh mint leaves, optional
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Separate candy bars; lightly press into sides of cake. Arrange berries on top; brush with preserves. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Fruit Basket Cake
"ok so Im rating this cake 5 stars for the way it tasted after I made some changes ;) I used a devils food cake mix BUT i added 1 extra egg and instead of water I used milk in its place. Made the mix more homemade tasting and much more moist! Then I frosted the ENTIRE bottom layer and added some sliced strawberries then added the top layer and frosted it completely as well. I placed the kit kats around it and it takes 44 sticks of kit kat to cover the 9" round cake ;) then I added fruits of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. I left off the apricot preserves...instead just add a little cool whip on the top along with the mint :) the cake was super moist and so delicious! Just a side note...if you use fresh fruit like i did, make sure you wash the fruit in enough time for it to completely dry before adding to the cake otherwise youre going to have a mess with the fruit juice and the water that didnt dry. It will make the frosting "run" as well. I washed the fruit then put it in a spinner and laid it all out on wax paper with paper towels on and under it to dry it out about 2 hours before putting it on the cake. Turned out just fine :) I did tie a ribbon very snug around it to help hold everything together as I transported it from my house to our friends' house :) Made it cute and held everything in place during the ride :) Everyone was crazy about this cake including myself and I NEVER like anything I make ;) happy eating! :)"
"Made this for my own birthday and everyone loved it. Made two more smaller versions the next day for friends. I tied a ribbon around the "basket" to make it more festive. Very easy to make and people are impressed."
"Surprisingly easy to make and totally worth it. Made it for a get-together and it was a hit!!"
"I made this cake for a party and all my friends loved it! With Kit Kats, how can you go wrong? The fruit on top made the boxed cake especially moist, but I should not have put it on the night before, as some of the juice ran down onto the platter and it was a bit messy. I recommend adding the fruit within a few hours of serving."