- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate frosting
- 11 Kit Kat candy bars (1-1/2 ounces each)
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves, warmed
- Fresh mint leaves, optional
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Separate candy bars; lightly press into sides of cake. Arrange berries on top; brush with preserves. Garnish with mint if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Chocolate Fruit Basket Cake
Sort By :
"Made this for my own birthday and everyone loved it. Made two more smaller versions the next day for friends. I tied a ribbon around the "basket" to make it more festive. Very easy to make and people are impressed."
"Loved this! Impressive looking and delicious. One thing to note... since we did not eat all of the cake right away, we took the fruit back off - we thought the cake would get too "mushy" if we left this on."
"I made this cake for our local fire dept and they loved it!! I diced up some of the berries and added them to the top of the bottom layer for an added bonus. Also if traveling with this cake, tie a ribbon around the kit kats to keep them in place."
"I have made this cake 2 years in a row for our dessert auction at church. Everyone loves it! Its easy to make and looks like you fussed."
"Surprisingly easy to make and totally worth it. Made it for a get-together and it was a hit!!"