- 4 large navel oranges
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- With a sharp knife, score orange peel into four wedge-shaped sections. Loosen peel with a spoon and remove; save fruit for another use.
- Place peel in a heavy saucepan and cover with cold water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain. Repeat process twice, draining well each time. Cool for 5 minutes. Carefully scrape off excess pulp from peel. Cut the peel into 1/4-in. strips.
- In another saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup and salt. Cook over medium heat until clear. Add orange peel strips; boil gently until until all syrup is absorbed and peel is transparent, about 30-35 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer strips to wire racks for at least 3 hours or until dry.
- Melt chocolate and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip each strip halfway into chocolate. Cool on wire racks coated with cooking spray. Yield: about 3 cups.
Originally published as Chocolate-Dipped Candied Orange Peel in Birds & Blooms December/January 1999, p55
Reviews for Chocolate-Dipped Candied Orange Peel
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review