I’m a huge fan of Nanaimo Bars, the no-bake layered dessert named for the city in British Columbia. For fun, I reinvented this treat with coconut lovers in mind. —Shannon Dobos, Calgary, Alberta
Featured In: 50 Coconut Recipes to Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cups Oreo cookie crumbs
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup cream of coconut
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons cream of coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 Mounds candy bars (1-3/4 ounces each), coarsely chopped, optional
- Microwave butter on high until melted; stir until smooth. Stir in cookie crumbs, coconut and cream of coconut until blended (mixture will be wet). Spread onto bottom of an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Refrigerate until set, about 30 minutes.
- For filling, beat butter, cream of coconut and extract until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and enough milk to reach a spreading consistency. Spread over crust.
- For topping, microwave chocolate chips and oil until melted; stir until smooth. Cool slightly; spread over filling. If desired, sprinkle with chopped candy bars. Refrigerate. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate-Coconut Layer Bars in Taste of Home December 2016
Reviews for Chocolate-Coconut Layer Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review