- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 36 maraschino cherries, well drained
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
- 4 cups sweetened shredded coconut, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in water and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, oats and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape 1 tablespoonful of dough around each cherry, forming a ball. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until bottoms are browned, 18-20 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Stir together confectioners' sugar and enough milk to achieve a smooth dipping consistency. Dip cookies, then roll in coconut. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews forCherry Snowballs
"These are always on my family's holiday cookie tray, but we omit the oatmeal and use extra flour. We prefer the texture without the oats. Another fun addition is to use green maraschino cherries in half of the cookies to create a surprise center."
"These are delicious & pretty. I use cherry juice instead of milk for the glaze so it's pink & only dip the top of the cookies so they don't get too messy & are more easily stored."
"Made these for the second year in a row for a Christmas Open House at my job. A big hit. Takes time to make but worth it in the end."
"Very easy to make. Very tasty too. A real treat for the holidays and the winter season too."
"I love anything with maraschino cherries. How do you store these cookies? Room temperature or refrigerate?"