- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Cool cake on a wire rack for 3-5 minutes. Poke holes in cake with a meat fork or wooden skewer; gradually pour gelatin over cake. Cool for 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Fold in whipped topping. Carefully spread over cake. Top with the pie filling. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 20 servings.
Reviews for Cherry Dream Cake
"I'll so be making this when we return from RV vacation.have all but jello&white cake mix-easy enuf to pick up. husband saw picture and said "yum".the cream cheese/whipped topping sounds perfectly sweet enuf to me as the CPFill is ultra sweet."
"I didn't have any luck with the icing. I think I didn't let the cream cheese warm up enough before using and it ended up lumpy. Otherwise, it was very good. I think next time I will make it with just the whipping cream on top of the cherry pie filling."
"Each person has his/her own tastes, but I was very disappointed in this cake. The cream cheese/whipped topping icing is not nearly sweet enough; it mainly tasted like I spread only cream cheese on the top. Just the whipped topping alone would have been better. And one can of pie filling was not enough to cover the cake as pictured. You definitely need two cans for presentation and taste. I will not be making it again."
"This is good, but my topping didn't turn out as pretty as I thought it should have. I need to beat the cream cheese a little more, I think. Good, simple recipe."
"Love it:) It is such a refreshing dessert and easy to make! My family loves it! I make my own homemade whipped topping:) Yum!"
"I thought this was just OK. I would prefer a white cake with icing or a cherry cheesecake. Combining these ingredients didn't do it for me."
"This cake is wonderful. Have made it many times. My husband is always happy when I make it for him. Thank you for sharing."
"This cake is excellent pretty and easy! Will be making again!"
"I've tried similar recipes, but none called for the cherry gelatin. I thought the jello added a welcomed tartness to balance out the sweetness from the cake and whipped topping mixture."
"This was very pretty I made it for Christmas. The taste was a little sweet for me but the kids loved it. Would make again."