"I serve this at Christmas because it's so festive," Margaret McNeil says of her crowd-pleasing cake. The Germantown, Tennessee baker uses cherry gelatin to give a boxed cake mix an eye-appealing marbled effect.
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups whipped topping
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions, using a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Cool cake on a wire rack for 3-5 minutes. Poke holes in cake with a meat fork or wooden skewer; gradually pour gelatin over cake. Cool for 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Fold in whipped topping. Carefully spread over cake. Top with the pie filling. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Cherry Dream Cake in Quick Cooking November/December 2002, p43
Reviews for Cherry Dream Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review