Cheese Tortellini and Kale Soup Recipe
- 3 Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links links (4 ounces each), sliced
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped fennel bulb
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cartons (32 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1 can (15 ounces) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- In a large saucepan, cook the sausage, onion, fennel, garlic, thyme and pepper flakes in oil until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add broth and water; bring to a boil.
- Stir in kale and beans; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until kale is tender. Add tortellini; simmer, uncovered, for 7-9 minutes or until tender. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Cheese Tortellini and Kale Soup
Sort By :
"We really enjoyed this soup but didn't care for the tortellini. We made it a second time and just added another can of beans instead of the tortellini."
"I added 2 tbls each of chopped fresh basil and oregano to this. Next Time I will put in a cup of diced carrots with the other vegetables. Flavor is wonderful. I omitted the red pepper beacuse my wife can't handle the hot, and just added a dash of tabasco sauce to my servings.I will make this again as I needed good recipes to use my Kale from my garden."
"This was an easy soup to make. I followed the recipe, though I did leave out the olive oil in order to reduce the fat content. That may have resulted in the soup not being as flavorful as other soups that I've made with Italian sausage and tortellini. The red pepper flakes gave the soup a little kick; if you like a milder soup, you might want to reduce that spice. Not sure what to change next time to make this a "Wow" soup. Flavors may intensify and blend a little better as it becomes "day old" soup."