For an easy doughnut recipe which everyone will love, I make these doughnuts. I love carrot cake so I wanted to carry the flavor over to these doughnuts. My experiments worked and these doughnuts are favorite in my family.—Tamera Danforth, The Dalles, Oregon
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon each salt, ground nutmeg and cloves
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in orange peel. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cloves; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Fold in carrots.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface; roll out to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- For glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange juice, carrot and vanilla; drizzle over warm doughnuts. Sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Carrot Cake Doughnuts in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p34
Reviews for Carrot Cake Doughnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 5, 2011
"The batter and doughnuts are very dry. Nice flavor but will have to decide how to tweek the recipe."
Reviewed Dec. 4, 2011
"I found this batter to be very dry...Hopefully when I fry them off they will be good!!!"