- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (4 to 5 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, quartered
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 14 hamburger buns, split
- 1-3/4 pounds deli coleslaw
- Cut roast into quarters. Mix brown sugar, salt, paprika and pepper; rub over meat. Place meat and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and seasonings; pour over roast. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove roast; cool slightly. Reserve 1-1/2 cups cooking juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Shred pork with two forks. Return pork and reserved juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve on buns with coleslaw. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Carolina-Style Pork Barbecue
Sort By :
"Warning...very spicy! You may want to reduce the red pepper flakes and cayenne for those who can't tolerate the heat."
"Very easy to make and so good tasting."
"KATHRYN, My husband is from N Carolina and I've been lectured repeatedly on the different styles of bbq in north and south Carolinas and even the areas (Piedmont, mustard, vinegar, etc.). Have come up with one he likes pretty well, but will try this one on him to see if it is closest to High Point bbq that he grew up with, thank you for the help with picky people! If anyone has a High Point recipe, please send to me at brookeparker@email@example.com, thanks."
"I have made this several times and it is always a big hit. Truly a great pork recipe."
"I followed the recipe to a t. I then tripled everything that makes the sauce and cooked on low in a separate pan and had lots of sauce to pour over the pork. Yummy!!!!!"