- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- Coarse sugar and/or edible glitter
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cardamom, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a ball, then flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. snowflake-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Repeat.
- Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and milk. Pipe over cookies and sprinkle with coarse sugar and/or glitter. Let dry completely. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Originally published as Cardamom Sugar Cookies in Country Woman December/January 2013, p28
Reviews for Cardamom Sugar Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review