Caramel Swirls Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 30 caramels
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and flavoring. Gradually beat flour into creamed mixture. Refrigerate 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt caramels; stir until smooth. Stir in cream cheese until blended; set aside. Divide dough in half. Roll each portion between two pieces of waxed paper to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread caramel mixture over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Wrap rolls in plastic wrap; refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Caramel Swirls(4)
Sort By :
Delicious, need more practice to make them all this pretty though.
These are addictive! Nice and crispy with a smooth caramel taste. Friends loved! Only issue I had mine were smaller than the ones pictured.
I made these for a Christmas cookie exchange. They're very tasty and not too hard to make. They take time, though, since you have to chill the dough twice. I had a little trouble with some of the trays, when I think I spread the warm caramel on too thick, which rapidly warmed up the dough and made it a challenge to roll up. While they weren't all as beautiful as the ones in the photo, they tasted just as good!
Very good the caramel cream cheese mixture tasted good by itself.