- 1 package spice or carrot cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 2 medium)
- 20 caramels
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 12 wooden pop sticks
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 12 jumbo muffin cups with paper liners.
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions; fold in apples. Fill prepared cups three-fourths full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans; cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small saucepan, cook caramels and milk over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly. Spread over cupcakes. Sprinkle with pecans. Insert a wooden stick in each. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Caramel Apple Cupcakes
"We used boxed carrot cake and chopped gala apples, btut left the nuts off. At one point I thought to use caramel sauce, instead of melting down caramels...I am glad we didn't! the regular square caramels add a delicious, old fashioned taste. Worth the extra few minutes to melt them down. Kids enjoyed and it was a cute idea to add the popsicle stick too."
"I didn't have enough apple, but these were still delicious! I used the boxed carrot cake."
"Over cooking the caramel turns it into hardened toffee. The longer it is cooked, the harder it becomes. I suggest you cut back your cooking time, TheresaW."
"OMG!!! It's so amazing, everyone loved these. The caramel was perfect and as others have said the caramel just kind of starts to run off the longer they sit, however it tastes great. I would not change the topping at all!!!! OOEY, GOOEY MESSY GREATNESS JUST LIKE A CARAMEL APPLE...this will be in my recipe book FOREVER :)"
"I needed to make more than 12, so I used a box spice cake mix, 3 cups of apples, and about 30 caramels. It made about 20 cupcakes, and they turned out good."
"I made these for my son's birthday . The cupcakes were good but the icing was rock hard, and nobody could eat it. What did I do wrong?"
"Made this in a 13x9 pan and served to a group of medical students. There were no leftovers at the end of the evening! Instead of 20 Caramels I used a bag of the caramel bits and it worked just fine. Was rushed and that saved me time to not have to unwrap the caramels. Will definitely make again."
"<p>My family really liked these cupcakes. I made them regular size. I also added less water then the cake mix called for by 1/3 cup. But after the apples cooked in it I found it turned out perfect. I did keep the cupcakes that hadn't been ate in the fridge because of the reviews I read. The caramel was just as pretty and tasty the next morning. I liked it better a little cold but that is how I like my caramel apples too.</p>"
"Perfect amount of flavor/crunch. Not to sweet. I made 24 cupcakes and they were all gone in a matter of 2 hours! Will make over and over again"
"I made them for a tailgate party. They were a huge hit with many people wanting the recipe."