I created this recipe after a trip to an orchard with my family. This moist cake is full of hearty apples and nuts, while the caramel frosting adds a delectable finish. —Sharon Cable, Dyersville, Iowa.
Recommended: 28 Apple Recipes to Make in a 13x9 Pan
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups chopped peeled apples (about 3 medium)
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray; dust with flour, tapping out extra.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in apples.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, milk and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand to thicken slightly. Spoon slowly over cake. Sprinkle with walnuts. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Caramel Apple Coffee Cake with Walnuts in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes Annual 2016, p71
Reviews for Caramel Apple Coffee Cake with Walnuts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review