I created these bars for my daughter, who loves peppermint. The buttery shortbread texture just melts in your mouth. It’s a hit wherever I take it. —Susan Ciuffreda, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 9 ounces white baking chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 3/4 cup crushed candy canes (about 10 regular)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extract. Gradually beat in flour. Press evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 16-19 minutes or until edges are brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, combine buttercream ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over shortbread. Carefully spread white chocolate over top. Sprinkle with candy canes; let stand until set.
- Lifting with parchment paper, remove shortbread from pan. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Candy Cane Shortbread Bars in Taste of Home November 2014, p59
Reviews for Candy Cane Shortbread Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 21, 2015
"If you like peppermint you will love this. It was good."
Reviewed Nov. 25, 2015
"Yummy and easy to make!"