These festive cookies have a rich almond flavor and a pretty sprinkling of peppermint. Their candy cane shape makes them especially appealing— it wouldn't be Christmas at my house without them!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Red food coloring
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy canes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extract. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half; add 6-7 drops of food coloring to one half. Shape tablespoonfuls of each color of dough into 4-in. ropes. Place ropes side by side; lightly press ends together and twist. Place on ungreased baking sheets; curve to form canes.
- Bake at 375° for 9-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Combine crushed candy canes and sugar; immediately sprinkle over cookies. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Candy Cane Cookies in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p30
Reviews for Candy Cane Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review