When my family asked for good old Norwegian wreath cookies, I studied several recipes for ideas, then added my own special touches. — Cassidy Callahan, Fitchburg, Massachusetts
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Green food coloring
- Red and green candied cherries
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, orange peel and extract. Gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half; tint one portion green with food coloring.
- For each wreath, shape two 6-inch ropes using 2 teaspoons plain dough for one and 2 teaspoons green dough for the other. Place the two ropes side by side; press together lightly, then twist several times. Shape into a circle, pinching ends to seal. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cut candied cherries into small pieces and place on wreaths to decorate as desired, pressing lightly to adhere. Bake cookies 6-8 minutes or until set and bottoms are light brown.
- Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Callahan Christmas Wreaths in Taste of Home November 2013
Reviews for Callahan Christmas Wreaths
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review