Butter Pecan Layer Cake Recipe
- 2-2/3 cups chopped pecans
- 1-1/4 cups butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 8 to 8-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place pecans and 1/4 cup butter in a baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in 1-1/3 cups of toasted pecans.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream butter and confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Add milk and vanilla; beat until smooth. Stir in remaining toasted pecans. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Butter Pecan Layer Cake(13)
Sort By :
EASY PEASY five stars for its versatility - this is a fabulous cake BUT IMO with a few little changes it is an AWESOME cake - I agree with the too dry comments - my first "by the book" cake was not so great - the second, I did a MUCH better job of chopping the pecans -they were about the size of rice really fine (the pecan flavor saturated the cake); reduced the sugar to 1 1/2 C; used 1C milk and 1 C BUTTERmilk; added 1 SMALL pkg vanilla instant pudding mix - for the FROSTING I made a buttered rum pecan frosting: 2 1/2 sticks REAL lightly salted butter; 3 8oz packages of cream cheese; 6 cups powdered sugar; 1 cup of PULVERIZED MEGA FINE toasted pecans (just toast them with the other pecans and add a tablespoon more butter while toasting, I also put the frosting pecans on a paper towel before pulverizing them for the frosting) (OPTIONAL 2 tsp. rum FLAVORING whipped in the last minute or so of beating) blend the butter and cream cheese til light and fluffy, add the pecans next then gradually added the powdered sugar (since I use a hand mixer, I put a little in smash with a fork then blend and keep doing that til it's all in and just whip til it's soft fluffy light and totally awesome) I personally like the flavor of the rum in the frosting and I added it in my THIRD cake so it's good with or without.
To me, this is a recipe you can take as a base and do literally DOZENS of WONDERFUL things with - from lemon to coconut to banana pecan (really REALLY good and MOIST with mashed whipped bananas & banana cream cheese frosting and decorates beautifully) to chocolate swirled butter pecan - just let your imagination soar!
I saw someone else wrote that it was dry so I made sure I baked it for the least amount of time recommended, but I thought mine turned out kinda dry too The icing recipe is ridiculous. Did anyone really use that much icing! I wasted 3/4 of it. While it wasn't terrible, I had a better recipe last year for pecan cake; but unfortunately, mistook this one for it.
I made this cake as written and it was perfect. Absolutely, delicious - twelve of us had it last night for my Mother's birthday and barely put a dent in it, it's so rich, moist and just sweet enough.
Great reviews. People that said they were not nut fans really loved the cake.
Amazing recipe! I stuck to the exact ingredients and it came out perfect. Some comments I got were that the frosting is a little too sweet so maybe I will use less sugar next time
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Frosting Recipes >