- 5 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat a 2-qt. souffle dish with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine flour and spices. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir 1 minute longer or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in blue cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese. Remove from the heat; transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Allow to cool slightly.
- In another large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, stir a fourth of the egg whites into cheese mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined.
- Transfer to prepared dish. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until the top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Blue Cheese Souffle in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p27
Reviews for Blue Cheese Souffle
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Breakfast Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Diabetic Breakfast Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- Healthy Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >