- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls, then roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° until puffy and lightly browned, 10-12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Big Soft Ginger Cookies
"I live in a high altitude state and didn't know if I needed to adjust the recipe, but I made as printed and they turned out so good! Perfect ginger cookie. They have a little crunch from the sugar on the outside, but soft and chewy on the inside. I will be making these again!"
"This recipe for Big Soft Ginger Cookies is wonderful. Easy to make. Tastes like the holidays to me!"
"This recipe is excellent! I added 2 teaspoons of finely chopped crystalized ginger for extra gingery goodness! This will be a family favorite!"
"I just made these following the recipe exactly and they came out very thin, not at all like the picture. Maybe refrigerate the dough next time ??"
"I've been making these for 20 years. Always perfectly round, always an asked-for recipe. They are fantastic"
"This is one of our favorites, and I make them all year, not just in the fall or Christmas. I love the deep crevices in the tops. Sometimes I sandwich marshmallow creme between two and make sandwiches!!"
"This was amazing. My dad is extremely picky but he loves these! My only question would be if I could make them gluten free? Thanks!!! AMAZING COOKIES"
"These are good. I made them this year and last to give out to my neighbors for Christmas. :) My husband really enjoyed them.I did have a problem though, they came out puffy instead of chewy like I was hoping. Any idea why this would happen? What did I do wrong? Thanks."
"These cookies are wonderful!! I've used this recipe dozens of times, following it exactly, and I always get tons of compliments and requests for the recipe. The outsides are a tiny crunchy, the middle is soft, and the spices are perfect! I wouldn't change a thing! This is my go to recipe for ginger molasses cookies. I just whipped up a batch and am now going to go enjoy one... or more : )"