Best Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- Pinch ground cloves
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel, optional
- 6 whole wheat buns, split
- In a saucepan, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, prepared mustard, ground mustard, cloves, cayenne and orange peel if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Serve on buns. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Best Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
Oh, I also made this with ground turkey instead of beef and added a chopped carrot to the onions. Not sure how the original recipe was low-fat...
I thought these were too sweet, but my husband couldn't tell the difference between this spiced up version and the plain version I normally make.
Oops, forgot to mention I too skipped the orange peel....and I also added a heaping 1/4 tsp of salt.
Wow! I wish I'd found this recipe when my kids were still at home. Since discovering it, I've made it nearly every week. The only changes I made after following the recipe the first time was to add a little brown sugar and granulated garlic. Love love love it!
Too tangy for me!