Beef & Veggie Sloppy Joes Recipe
I’m always looking for ways to serve my family healthy and delicious food, so I started experimenting with my favorite veggies and ground beef. I came up with this favorite that my three kids actually request! This healthy take on sloppy joes reminds me of my own childhood. —Megan Niebuhr, Yakima Washington
- 4 medium carrots, shredded (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Drain; transfer beef to slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until heated through and vegetables are tender. Using a slotted spoon, serve beef mixture on buns. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Beef & Veggie Sloppy Joes in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2014, p75
Reviews for Beef & Veggie Sloppy Joes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review