- 4 medium carrots, shredded (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Drain; transfer beef to slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until heated through and vegetables are tender. Using a slotted spoon, serve beef mixture on buns. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Beef & Veggie Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
"I love the idea of adding so many veggies with the ground beef. Once it's all softened, you don't even notice the vegetables. I agree with another reviewer that the prep time for this recipe is longer than 35 minutes. I believe it can be cut down if you replace your "sauce" ingredients with 2 cans of manwich. Next time I make this recipe, I do intend to use manwich. Also, when I had the leftovers the next day, I added Jalapeno Havarti to my sandwich and it made it pop!"
"This recipe was edible. It lacked flavor, other than the extensive basil. I added a jar of Manwich sauce to the leftovers, and that helped. The prep time says 35 minutes, but that could only possibly be true IF you had all the carrots shredded and IF you had all the squash and zucchini shredded and IF you had the pepper finely chopped and IF you had the tomatoes seeded and chopped, and IF you had the onion and garlic finely chopped and minced. Definitely not worth the time and effort, and not a recipe I will make again. I don't generally rate recipes, but had to rate this one to keep someone else from falling into the trap of thinking "Oh, it sounds healthy; must be good." Nope."
"I didn't actually eat this because I'm vegetarian, but my husband & 2 year old son LOVED it! They've eaten it 3 nights in a row for dinner - unheard of! Bonus points for sneaking extra veggies into the boys & using over-abundant zucchini from the garden! One modification - I didn't have time for the slow-cooker so I did it on the stove top for about 90 min. instead, worked fine."