- 4 medium carrots, shredded (about 3-1/2 cups)
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 12 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 13 ingredients. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Drain; transfer beef to slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook, covered, on low 5-6 hours or until heated through and vegetables are tender. Using a slotted spoon, serve beef mixture on buns. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Beef & Veggie Sloppy Joes
Sort By :
"I didn't actually eat this because I'm vegetarian, but my husband & 2 year old son LOVED it! They've eaten it 3 nights in a row for dinner - unheard of! Bonus points for sneaking extra veggies into the boys & using over-abundant zucchini from the garden! One modification - I didn't have time for the slow-cooker so I did it on the stove top for about 90 min. instead, worked fine."