My family loves this recipe, it's quick to put together and it really satisfies without being too fattening. This dish stands alone as a great, light meal.—Lynn Bowen, Geraldine, Alabama
- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In batches, cook cabbage in boiling water 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; cool slightly. Trim the thick vein from the bottom of each cabbage leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, onion, egg, milk, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Place about 1/4 cup beef mixture on each cabbage leaf. Pull together cut edges of leaf to overlap; fold over filling. Fold in sides and roll up.
- Place six rolls in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, seam side down. In a bowl, mix sauce ingredients; pour half of the sauce over cabbage rolls. Top with remaining rolls and sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until a thermometer inserted in beef reads 160° and cabbage is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Beef-Stuffed Cabbage Rolls in Taste of Home December 2013
Reviews for Beef & Rice Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review