- 12 cabbage leaves
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In batches, cook cabbage in boiling water 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain; cool slightly. Trim the thick vein from the bottom of each cabbage leaf, making a V-shaped cut.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, onion, egg, milk, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix lightly but thoroughly. Place about 1/4 cup beef mixture on each cabbage leaf. Pull together cut edges of leaf to overlap; fold over filling. Fold in sides and roll up.
- Place six rolls in a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker, seam side down. In a bowl, mix sauce ingredients; pour half of the sauce over cabbage rolls. Top with remaining rolls and sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until a thermometer inserted in beef reads 160° and cabbage is tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Beef & Rice Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
"My husband is a diabetic & I use Brown Sugar Blend (a mix of zero calorie sucralose & brown sugar, 1/2 the calories - great for cooking & baking. 1/2 a cup= 1 cup brown sugar). Mine came from Meijer's , 1 lb. bag for $4.09. My husband loves to sprinkle this on his cooked oatmeal. Hope this helps , 1-5-15's question."
"to answer question submitted on 01-05-15 I don't know if you have type 1 or type 2 diabetes and this is not intended toinstruct you,contact your Dr. if you have need of advice on your diet. I will say however that the nutrition info. indicates just 19 grams of carb. per serving and my info. is that meals with less than 25 gms. of carb. are considered good."
"I am so excited to try this, it sounds like it is amazing, but I have a question I am a diabetic how can I switch the brown sugar with something, or can u recommend what I can do instead of putting brown sugar in it, or do u think it would not affect me to much. I am going grocery shopping tomorrow, so I will check back before i go shopping, please can someone answer or maybe i can go online now and ask t u"
"I have a batch of these in my crockpot right now...second time. I made them last week and my husband and I devoured them all real quick! These are so good...the only change I made this time was to triple the sauce amount. They are healthy and easy to make..we love it with mashed potatoes on the side and a lightly toasted sub roll. Delicious!!"
"These were yummy! I might add more tomato sauce next time."