Basque Vegetable Soup Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds)
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium leeks, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 ounces smoked Polish sausage, sliced
- 2 cups navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- In Dutch oven, slowly bring chicken and water to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until tender. Remove chicken; set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Strain broth and skim fat. Return broth to Dutch oven. Add the leeks, carrots, turnip, onion, potato, garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones; discard bones and skin. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces; add to the Dutch oven. Add the sausage, beans and cabbage. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce; heat through. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Basque Vegetable Soup(5)
Sort By :
Kind of cool today. Making the soup to take to my sons house tomorrow. My house smells divine. Did not change a thing. Oh and soup tastes awesome. This is a keeper.
This soup sounds very good but I have a question. Are the beans already cooked? It doesn't seem like they would cook in 30 min.
I adore this soup! I change it up by using pre-made broth and chicken (roasted or slow cooked) and will add turnips when in season at my local store. It is such a hardy and delicious soup. I may be the only one that adores the soup as much in my house but I will make it over and over again.
I give this 5 stars although I did change it up a bit. I used about 5 cups of beef stock and 4 cups of water, left out the leeks and chicken, and used the Bar S polish sausages. It made it a lot faster, and it tasted really good. Even my kids loved it.
Nice twist on sausage and beans! Full of vegetable goodness as well!