- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 package (16 ounces, 14x9-inch sheet size) frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Coat a 13x9-in. baking pan with cooking spray. Unroll phyllo dough; trim to fit into pan.
- Layer two sheets of phyllo dough in prepared pan, spritz with cooking spray. Repeat three times. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons nuts. Top with two sheets of phyllo and spritz with cooking spray. Repeat layering with nuts, phyllo and cooking spray 10 times. Top with remaining phyllo dough, spritzing every other sheet with cooking spray.
- Using a sharp knife, cut into 30 triangles. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine syrup ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely on a wire rack. Cover and let stand for several hours or overnight. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Baklava with Honey Syrup in Healthy Cooking October/November 2012, p35
Reviews for Baklava with Honey Syrup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review