Baked German Potato Salad Recipe
- 12 medium red potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 8 bacon strips
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup water, divided
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle juice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes until just tender; drain. Peel and slice into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, 1/2 cup water, vinegar, pickle juice, parsley, salt and celery seed. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over potatoes. Add bacon; gently stir to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Baked German Potato Salad
Sort By :
Pretty tasty. A change from traditional mayo based potato salad.Liked the bacon addition.
I loved this and that it is served warm or room temp is great - it was so good and loved the pickle juice - awesome
Took this to a potluck where it was a hit. One of my friends said his German part was very happy. For me I will cut back on the sugar a little next time but it was great. No problem doing it in a crock pot.
This was pretty tasty! Loved the bacon.
Very good. The sweet pickle juice really works well in this recipe.