- 12 medium red potatoes (about 3 pounds)
- 8 bacon strips
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup water, divided
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup sweet pickle juice
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- In a saucepan, cook potatoes until just tender; drain. Peel and slice into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute onions in drippings until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, 1/2 cup water, vinegar, pickle juice, parsley, salt and celery seed. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into onion mixture. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over potatoes. Add bacon; gently stir to coat. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Baked German Potato Salad
"This was very good. Nice combo of flavors. Got requests for the recipe. B"
"Pretty tasty. A change from traditional mayo based potato salad.Liked the bacon addition."
"I loved this and that it is served warm or room temp is great - it was so good and loved the pickle juice - awesome"
"Took this to a potluck where it was a hit. One of my friends said his German part was very happy. For me I will cut back on the sugar a little next time but it was great. No problem doing it in a crock pot."
"This was pretty tasty! Loved the bacon."
"Very good. The sweet pickle juice really works well in this recipe."
"Wonderful.... everyone loved when taken to a carry-in dinner."
"I love the addition of celery seed in this recipe. I'm used to the plain ole German potato salad my grand used to make. My family went nuts over this. Will make again and again."
"This is the best german potato salad recipe I have found so far. I love the fact that it uses pickle juice, I always feel wasteful throwing that out. The only did I did different was chop up 2 hardboiled eggs in mine. Delish!"