This is my take on my mother's recipe for chocolate chunk bars, which she made every Christmas Eve. Our family is scattered across the country now; making these reminds me of home. If you don't have a pastry cutter, you can use two sharp knifes or a potato masher. My mom makes this with semisweet chocolate chunks. —Erin Powell, Amarillo, Texas
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1-1/2 cups white baking chips
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. pan with foil, letting ends extend up sides; grease foil. In a bowl, mix flour and brown sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake until light golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
For filling, whisk together egg, milk, orange peel and extract until blended; stir in baking chips and cranberries. Spread evenly over crust. Bake until top is golden brown, 20-25 minutes longer. Cool 15 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Lifting with foil, remove bars from pan. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled bars in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, thaw before serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as White Chocolate Cranberry Orange Bars in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p136