Unstuffing Side Dish
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes or dry cubed bread
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add the butter, mushrooms, celery and onion; cook for 3-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl; add stuffing cubes and enough broth to moisten.
- Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 259 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 951mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Jan 12, 2014
I made this stuffing for Thanksgiving. I thought using the sausage would make it a unique side dish. I was disappointed. It was rather bland.
Oct 7, 2012
This is the best stuffing that I have ever fixed. The flavors blend so nicely together. My family always makes sure that I make this at the holidays.
Nov 12, 2009
I have been using this for my holiday stuffing since it first came out in Taste of Home. There is no better stuffing recipe. I love it.
Nov 11, 2009
I have been making this recipe for several years now. I smoke or grill my turkey and have never stuffed one, so Unstuffing is the way to go! This is so savory I could eat it as a main dish. This is a keeper!
Jul 9, 2009
My Mom has kept this recipe and has been preparing it during the holidays for about 5 years. This is definitely a winner. My husband eats this dish by himself if left to his devices.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.