Unstuffing Side Dish
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups unseasoned stuffing cubes or dry cubed bread
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups chicken broth
- In a large skillet, cook sausage until no longer pink; drain. Add the butter, mushrooms, celery and onion; cook for 3-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in the poultry seasoning, salt and pepper. Transfer to a large bowl; add stuffing cubes and enough broth to moisten.
- Place in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 259 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 951mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 12, 2014
I made this stuffing for Thanksgiving. I thought using the sausage would make it a unique side dish. I was disappointed. It was rather bland.
Oct 7, 2012
This is the best stuffing that I have ever fixed. The flavors blend so nicely together. My family always makes sure that I make this at the holidays.
Nov 12, 2009
I have been using this for my holiday stuffing since it first came out in Taste of Home. There is no better stuffing recipe. I love it.
Nov 11, 2009
I have been making this recipe for several years now. I smoke or grill my turkey and have never stuffed one, so Unstuffing is the way to go! This is so savory I could eat it as a main dish. This is a keeper!
Jul 9, 2009
My Mom has kept this recipe and has been preparing it during the holidays for about 5 years. This is definitely a winner. My husband eats this dish by himself if left to his devices.