- 3-1/2 to 4 cups bread flour, divided
- 2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- All-purpose flour
- In a mixing bowl, combine 2 cups bread flour, 1 cup whole wheat flour, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat the milk, water, honey and butter to 120°-130°. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Beat in egg until smooth. Stir into the remaining whole wheat flour and enough remaining bread flour to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a surface lightly dusted with all-purpose flour; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes. Divide into thirds; shape into loaves. Place in three greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if tops brown too quickly. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 loaves.
Reviews forTraditional Wheat Bread
"yummy! tastes good for the whole family and even meets all of our diet limitations!"
"This bread is simple to make, and very good."