Sweet and Sour Zucchini Pickles
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + soaking Process: 10 min.
Makesabout 6 pints
- 11 cups thinly sliced zucchini (about 3 pounds)
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup canning salt
- 4-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- Place zucchini and onion in a large nonreactive bowl. Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat. Add water to cover; let stand at room temperature 2 hours. Drain; rinse and drain thoroughly.
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Add zucchini mixture; return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 4-5 minutes or until heated through.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into six hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and, if necessary, adjust headspace by adding hot pickling liquid. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool.
Editor's NoteThe processing time listed is for altitudes of 1,000 feet or less. For altitudes up to 3,000 feet, add 5 minutes; 6,000 feet, add 10 minutes; 8,000 feet, add 15 minutes; 10,000 feet, add 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 12 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 20, 2018
Getting ready to make them. I assume spices go in with the vinegar & sugar? The recipe says nothing about this
Sep 12, 2016
I was pleasantly surprised to find another use for zucchini. I was a bit skeptical that the zucchini would hold up and make a nicely textured pickle, but they actually have a perfect firmness and crunch to them. Like another reviewer, this only yielded 4 pints for me, but they aren't a lot of work and are well worth the time involved. I will definitely make a batch or two each year going forward.
Aug 22, 2015
I made these today. Got 4 pints instead of 6 but maybe I packed them too tight. The leftovers I put in the fridge and just enjoyed them with supper. I know they are going to be great!
Aug 22, 2015
I just made these...now this doesn't say, but these should be left on the shelf at least a month before using, correct?
Aug 20, 2015
Had an abundance of zukes so I wanted to try this recipe. Very easy & processed beautifully. Cant wait to try this winter.