When I was growing up, my mother made many desserts and pastries with anise. Today, I continue the tradition with these cookies, which are flavorful and great for decorating in a variety of ways.—Darlene Brenden, Salem, Oregon
Recommended: Mom's Best Cookie Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 3 large eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground star anise
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat sugar and honey until blended. Beat in eggs. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and star anise; gradually beat into sugar mixture.
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 1-1/2-in. star-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 4-6 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 6 dozen.
Originally published as Star Anise-Honey Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p24