South-of-the-Border Caprese Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (1 cup dressing)
- CILANTRO VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 3 large heirloom or other tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or diced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh cilantro leaves
- In a blender, combine the first six ingredients. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- Arrange greens on a serving platter; top with tomatoes. Sprinkle with cheese, salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, drizzle salad with 1/2 cup dressing; garnish with cilantro leaves. Refrigerate leftover dressing.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 168 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 12, 2018
Perfect Summer salad! I don't do cilantro but I substituted with parsley and it tastes great!
Nov 4, 2016
Delicious! I loved this salad with the queso fresco cheese.
Dec 3, 2013
Very good. I made it for my husband. We ran out of salad greens and still had dressing so I got more greens and tomatoes so we could finish off the dressing. We will definitely make this again soon.
Jan 2, 2012
Awesome dressing and wonderful salad! Dressing was a snap to put together. Will definitely do again.
Oct 25, 2010
I loved the cilantro vinaigrette! I used gorgonzola instead of the mozzarella and this was absolutely delicious. A really nice side for a mexican meal or an Italian one.