South-of-the-Border Caprese Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes6 servings (1 cup dressing)
- CILANTRO VINAIGRETTE:
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and quartered
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 4 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 3 large heirloom or other tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco or diced part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh cilantro leaves
- In a blender, combine the first six ingredients. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- Arrange greens on a serving platter; top with tomatoes. Sprinkle with cheese, salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, drizzle salad with 1/2 cup dressing; garnish with cilantro leaves. Refrigerate leftover dressing.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 168 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 12, 2018
Perfect Summer salad! I don't do cilantro but I substituted with parsley and it tastes great!
Nov 4, 2016
Delicious! I loved this salad with the queso fresco cheese.
Dec 3, 2013
Very good. I made it for my husband. We ran out of salad greens and still had dressing so I got more greens and tomatoes so we could finish off the dressing. We will definitely make this again soon.
Jan 2, 2012
Awesome dressing and wonderful salad! Dressing was a snap to put together. Will definitely do again.
Oct 25, 2010
I loved the cilantro vinaigrette! I used gorgonzola instead of the mozzarella and this was absolutely delicious. A really nice side for a mexican meal or an Italian one.